Google Summer of Code 2010 Project
- Student: Nicolas Boichat
- Mentors: Hunyue Yau, Laine Walker-Avina, Frans Meulenbroeks
BeagleBoard project: usbsniffer
Project at gitorious.org: http://gitorious.org/beagleboard-usbsniffer
The goal of this project is to use the BeagleBoard as an USB sniffer. The host computer would be connected to the slave USB port of the BeagleBoard, and the device to be sniffed on the host USB port.
The BeagleBoard would then forward USB data, while logging it.
This presents the following advantages over a software-based solution: No software modification is required; support of proprietary OSes; allows debugging of new USB stacks; and possibly lower-level debugging of USB frames...
Build and run instructions
To get the proxy driver to work, you need to follow these steps:
- Clone my kernel git tree. Use the stable-20100618 branch.
- Compile the kernel with the default beagleboard configuration (see BeagleBoard#Linux_kernel). You just need to add CONFIG_USB_G_PROXY=m. I also disabled MUSB in host and OTG mode, as well as USB suspend, but this may not be necessary.
- Install the new kernel on the board.
- Clone the helper scripts git tree, and copy the content of the arm directory to the BeagleBoard (you need to modify load/setup scripts if you do not have have a copy of musb_hdrc.ko and g_proxy.ko in the same directory).
- Run ./setup on the BeagleBoard, this will unload the g_ether gadget driver.
- Plug your device (through a USB hub if it is a low/full-speed device).
- Plug your PC to the BeagleBoard USB slave port (this can be done earlier as well).
- Run ./unbind: This will unbind the device from the normal Linux driver.
- Run ./load: this will (re)load the g_proxy driver.
- Use the device, it should work.
|Device||USB ID||Speed||Endpoints & types||Status||Branch||Notes|
|Logitech (M-BJ58/M-BJ69) Optical Wheel Mouse||046d:c00e/046d:c018||LS||
|Logitech Internet Keyboard||046d:c309||LS||
|FTDI FT232 USB-Serial (on Arduino)||0403:6001||FS||
||OK||>=stable-20100618||Programming + bidirectional serial communication|
|CSR Bluetooth Dongle||0a12:0001||FS||
||Partial||>=stable-20100618||Scanning devices work (hcitool -i hci1 scan), haven't tried anything more.|
|Imation 4GB Flash Drive||0718:0348||HS||
||OK||stable-20100702||Works hdparm -t --direct /dev/sdX. On PC: 19.76 MB/sec; on BeagleBoard: 17.64 MB/sec; on PC through the BeagleBoard proxy: 19.18 MB/sec.|
|AVerMedia Volar DVB-T dongle||07ca:b808||HS||
||OK||>=stable-20100618||No visible problem.|