Here is a list of different processor families, with miscellaneous notes for development information:
See also Hardware Hacking for a list of systems that include these processors.
From the Linux perspective, there are 2 very different kinds of ARM chips:
- ARM processors that include a memory management unit (MMU), and can run standard Linux
- ARM processors without MMU. These can run a modified version of Linux called uClinux ( http://uclinux.org/ ), enabling Linux to run on MMUless platforms or embedded processors with memory protection unit (MPU). These include ARM processors such as ARM7TDMI, ARM1156T2(F)-S or ARM Cortex-R4(F) for instance.
Please note that because of security considerations for MMU-less processors, it is unwise to use them when 3rd-party or untrusted code will be running on the device. For locked-down, single function devices, MMU-less processors may be appropriate. They are usually less expensive than processors with MMU.
Some major ARM platforms/SOCs are:
- DaVinci from Texas Instruments
- OMAP - by TI
- i.MX - by FreeScale
- Freescale's GIT repository for i.MX Linux support is at: http://opensource.freescale.com
- Info about this repository, as of April 2007 is at: http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg39771.html
- Freescale's GIT repository for i.MX Linux support is at: http://opensource.freescale.com
- ARM RealView platforms - by ARM Ltd.
- XScale/PXA - by Marvell (formerly Intel) -- has MMU
- PXA255/PXA26x - Cotulla/Dalhart
- PXA27x - Bulverde
- PXA3xx - Monahans family
- Linux PXA255/PXA26x/PXA27x BSPs are available in mainline kernel. You can find PXA3xx BSP from Marvell. Marvell team is working hard to get PXA3xx patches accepted by the mainline.
- Orion - by Marvell
- Linux BSP for Orion-2 SoC available on ARM Linux Mailing List.
- Philips LPC21xx series of ARM processors are currently the lowest-cost ARM processors available. But they have no MMU.
- JuiceBox uses a ARM S3C44B0X. It runs uClinux.
- AT91 - by Atmel
- Cirrus Logic (Linux forum and download site)
- EP73xx - ARM720T based
- EP93xx - ARM920T based
Information about MIPS processor architecture can be found here
Processors based on MIPS architecture include
Wikipedia Page: SuperH
Linux on SuperH: linux-sh
Renesas SuperH Overview
SuperH is an embedded RISC developed for high cost-performance, miniaturization, and performance per unit of power consumption (MIPS/W). We are developing CPU cores for a wide range of applications and functions and have many products available. Our product lines include a series with the SH-2 as the CPU core and on-chip large-capacity flash memory and peripheral functions such as timer, serial I/O, and AD converter, and a series with the SH-3 or SH-4 as the CPU core, which achieves high-speed data processing and is equipped with cache and MMU. Additionally, there is lineup of series with the SH2-DSP or SH3-DSP as the CPU core, which have full DSP functions and an emphasis on multimedia and communications processing. Currently available products also have lots of features, such as low power modes, low power consumption, and small size. Various versatile operating systems and development tools have been improved, allowing for more efficient development.
- Dreamcast - Limited to the machine models that can start by MIL-CD and usage of a Broad Band Adapter is recommended.
- Hitachi ULSI Systems
- MS7206SE01 - SH72060 Solution Engine
- MS7750SE01 - SH7750(sh4) Solution Engine
- MS7709SE01 - SH7709(sh3) Solution Engine
- SuperH, Inc.
- HP Jornada
- 525 (SH7709 (sh3))
- 548 (SH7709A (sh3))
- 620LX (SH7709 (sh3))
- 660LX (SH7709 (sh3))
- 680 (SH7709A (sh3))
- 690 (SH7709A (sh3))
- Renesas Technology Corp.
- RTS7751R2D - CE Linux Forum（CELF）Compliant Evaluation Board
- Renesas Europe/MPC Data Limited
- EDOSK7705 - SH7705 sh3
- EDOSK7760 - SH7760 sh4
- EDOSK7751R - SH7751R sh4
- SH7751R SystemH - SH7751R sh
- CQ Publishing Co.，Ltd.
- CQ RISC Evaluation Kit(CqREEK)/SH4-PCI with Linux
- [http://www.kmckk.co.jp/eng/ Kyoto Microcomputer Co., Ltd. (KMC or KμC)
- Solution Platform KZP-01 KZP-01[Mainboard] + KZ-SH4RPCI-01[SH4 CPU Board]
- Silicon Linux Co,. Ltd.
- CAT760 - SH7760
- CAT709 - SH7709S
- CAT68701 - SH7708R For A-one CATBUS[Designed for 68000 board] compliant
- Daisen Electronic Industrial Co., Ltd.
- SH2000 - SH7709A 118MHz
- SH2002 - SH7709S 200MHz
- SH-500 - SH7709S 118MHz
- SH-1000 - SH7709S 133MHz
- SH-2004 - SH7750R 240MHz
- IO-DATA DEVICE, Inc.(Network Attached Storage [NAS Series)]
- LAN-iCN - NAS Adapter for IODATA HDD with "i-connect" Interface
- LAN-iCN2"] - NAS Adapter for IODATA HDD with "i-connect" Interface
- LANDISK"] - SH4-266MHz[FSB133MHz] RAM64MB UDMA133 USB x2 10/100Base-T
- HDL-xxxU - LANDISK Series NAS Standard Model
- HDL-xxxUR - LANDISK with RICOH IPSiO G series print monitor for Windows support
- HDL-WxxxU - LANDISK with wide body & twin drive support for Heavy storage or RAID1
- HDL-AV250 - LANDISK with Home Network DLNA guideline support
- LANTank - LANDISK kit SuperTank(CHALLENGER) Series
- HDL-WxxxU based twin drive bulk NAS kit. LANTank have a special feature that supported network media server(cf. iTunes etc..).
- TOWA MECCS CORPORATION
- TMM1000 - SH7709
- TMM1100 - (SH7727
- TMM1200 - SH7727
- Sophia Systems
- Sophia SH7709A Evaluation Board
- Sophia SH7750 Evaluation Board
- Sophia SH7751 Evaluation Board
- MovingEye Inc.
- A3pci7003 - Using SH7750/ART-Linux [Linux with Realtime Extension]
- AlphaProject Co., Ltd.
- MS104-SH4 - SH7750R/PC104(Embedded ISA Bus) with apLinux
- Interface Corporation.
- MPC-SH02 - SH7750S: ATX Motherboard Style
- PCI-SH02xx"] - SH7750S: PCI-CARD Style
- TAC Inc.
- T-SH7706LAN another name "Mitsuiwa SH3 board" SH-MIN - SH7706A/128MHz Flash512KB SDRAM 8MB 10BASE-T
- SecureComputing/SnapGear (older products, check ebay etc, all can netboot and have a debug header)
- SG530 - SH7751@166MHz RAM16MB FLASH4MB 2x10/100 1xSerial
- SG550 - SH7751@166MHz RAM16MB FLASH8MB 2x10/100 1xSerial
- SG570 - SH7751R@240MHz RAM16MB FLASH8MB 3x10/100 1xSerial
- SG575 - SH7751R@240MHz RAM64MB FLASH16MB 3x10/100 1xSerial
- SG630 - SH7751@166MHz PCI NIC card RAM16MB FLASH4MB 1x10/100 1xSerial-header
- SG635 - SH7751R@240MHz PCI NIC card RAM16MB FLASH16MB 1x10/100 1xSerial-header
For Linux embedded applications requiring Floating Point in a SOC the MPC5200 is hard to beat.
Freescale's highly integrated, cost-effective MPC5200 is well suited for networking, media, industrial control, and automotive applications. It delivers 760 MIPS with a Floating Point Unit (FPU), hardware Memory Management Unit (MMU) for fast task switching, is packed with I/O, and operates at only one watt. The MPC5200 serves the processing-intensive network media gateway, network access storage, set-top box, audio jukebox automotive, Internet access, industrial automation, image detection/analysis, and electronic/medical instrumentation markets. With its successful foundation in the automotive/telematics market via the mobileGT™ alliance and platforms, all markets can now enjoy extended temperature, automotive qualification, and life cycles typically demanded in that industry. A solid choice of Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) and development boards with Board Support Packages (BSPs) provides users with a complete and flexible set of solutions.
The MPC5200 is based on a 400 MHz MPC603e PowerPC core with an integrated double precision Floating Point Unit (FPU) that is qualified at -40oC to +85oC. It incorporates a hardware-based memory management unit (MMU) for advanced memory protection schemes, fast task switching and broad RTOS support. The MPC5200 was designed for fast data throughput and processing. The integrated BestComm DMA controller offloads the main MPC603e core from I/O intensive data transfers. An integrated Double Data Rate (DDR) memory controller accelerates data access with an effective memory bus speed of 266 MHz. A high-speed PCI interface backed by the BestComm DMA controller and DDR memory support enables high-speed data transfers in and out of the MPC5200.
* MPC603e series PowerPC™ processor core * 0-400 MHz operation at -40oC to +85oC temperature range * Double Precision Floating Point Unit (FPU) * Instruction and Data Memory Management Unit (MMU) * 16K Instruction and 16K Data Caches * BestComm Intelligent DMA I/O Controller * SDR and 133 MHz Double Data Rate (DDR) memory interface (266 MHz effective) * Local Plus interface for flash memory, etc. * 10/100 Ethernet MAC * Peripheral Control Interface (PCI) Version 2.2 * ATA/IDE Interface * USB 1.1 Host (two each. USB 2.0 compatible) * Programmable Serial Controllers (six) * Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) * I2C (two) * I2S (up to three) * CAN 2.0 A/B (two) * J1850 BDLC-D * GPIO (up to 56) * 8 Timers * 1.5V core, 3.3V external (and 2.5V for DDR memory) * 272 Pin Plastic Pin Ball Grid Array (PBGA) Package * AEC-Q100, QS9000/TS-16949 automotive grade available * Lead (Pb) and lead-free packages
The DENX Embedded Linux Development Kit (ELDK) provides a complete and powerful software development environment for embedded and real-time systems. It is available for ARM, PowerPC and MIPS processors and consists of:
* Cross Development Tools (Compiler, Assembler, Linker etc.) to develop software for the target system. * Native Tools (Shell, commands and libraries) which provide a standard Linux development environment that runs on the target system. * Firmware that can be easily ported to new boards and processors. * Linux kernel including the complete source-code with all device drivers, board-support functions etc. * RTAI (Real Time Application Interface) Extension for systems requiring hard real-time responses. * SELF (Simple Embedded Linux Framework) as fundament to build your embedded systems on.
All components of the ELDK are available for free with complete source code under GPL and other Free Software Licenses. Also, detailed instructions to rebuild all the tools and packages from scratch are included.
The ELDK can be downloaded for free from several mirror sites or ordered on CD-ROM for a nominal charge (99 Euro). To order the CD please contact email@example.com
Detailed information about the ELDK is available here.
CE2110 Media Processor
The highly integrated Intel CE 2110 Media Processor helps to simplify the design of consumer electronics products with reduced BOM cost. The integrated Intel XScale® processor core at 1GHz provides processing performance and headroom to deploy new revenue-generating applications. Hardware-based decode of widely used video codecs (MPEG-2, H.264) maximizes system-level performance by enabling the processor core to be used exclusively for applications.
The Intel CE 2110 Media Processor also includes an Intel® Micro Signal Architecture (Intel® MSA) DSP core for audio codecs, a PowerVR* 2D/3D graphics accelerator, hardware accelerators for encryption and decryption, comprehensive peripheral interfaces, analog and digital input/outputs, and a transport interface for ATSC/DVB input.
- The Intel CE 2110 Media Processor Development Platform is designed to reduce time-to-market for new applications.
- The Intel CE 2110 Media Processor reference platform provides the foundation for rapid development of new customer designs and product demonstrations.
- Geode from AMD
- AMD Geode GX / CS5535
- AMD Geode LX / CS5536