Video transcription project
This page describes the video transcription project for the elinux wiki.
The purpopse of this project is to create transcripts of ELC and ELCE talks, as pages on the elinux wiki, via crowdsourcing. The value of transcripts would be that the material in the talks would be much more accessible to people. It would be searchable, and the talk could be read instead of watched (which is time-consuming). This essentially makes the talk accessible via random access instead of sequential access. There is a lot of very good content that is preserved in the videos that have been made over the years, and the goal of this project is to make that content more accessible and usable.
Process and methodology
In order to crowdsource the effort, a structure and method will be developed for:
- keeping track of the completion status of each talk
- managing the transcripts and keeping them in a uniform and useful form
- keeping track of who has worked on each talk (transcript credits)
- reviewing the transcripts for accuracy (and vandalism)
Random idea: Maybe use a different wiki for the talk pages, that allows database operations on the pages (like websed/tbwiki tables).
Process per page
1. check if page is listed in global presentation list 2. create a presentation page for the presentation (using a template?) 3. add a link to the talk in the global presentation list 4. add a link to the talk in the global topic list
- add a status column to each conference's talks page, indicating the transcript status and linking to the talk page.
- add a page for each page, with the presentation's information (title, description, author, transcript, link to video, etc.)
- make a template for a presentation page
- solicit participation in the project
- make a call for volunteer transcribers on celinux-dev and at ELC Europe
Historical work, other references
See All topics