BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio
- 1 Descriptions
- 2 Revision Changes
- 3 Software Support
- 4 Getting Started
- 5 Specifications
- 6 Signal Usage
- 7 EEPROM
- 8 Distributors
- 9 Product Images
- 10 Documentations
The BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape provides both DVI-D output and stereo audio input and output for the BeagleBone by using the TFP410 PanelBus digital transmitter and TLV320AIC3106 codec. Audio data is sampled at up to 96 kHz during recording or playback. The codec interfaces with the Multichannel Audio Serial Port of the AM335x via audio serial bus. The BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape also features two standard 3.5mm audio jacks as audio input and output connectors.
The only changes in this revision are PCB silkscreens to accommodate the release of Audio Cape and DVI-D with Audio Cape. No design changes have been made for the BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio revision A1.
The PCB revision is also changed from BB-BONE-DVID-PCB-03 to BB-BONE-DVID-PCB-04.
Initial release of BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape.
- BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape revision A and A1 are supported by Angstrom release 08-14-12 or later.
- Major BeagleBone image releases can be downloaded here.
- Intermediate BeagleBone image releases can be downloaded here
Please follow the instructions here to write the image file to your SD card on a Windows machine.
- A BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape
- A BeagleBone (with supported software)
- A stereo speaker with a 3.5mm audio input jack
- A 3.5mm male to male audio cable
- An LCD monitor that supports DVI-D and 1024x768 resolution.
- An HDMI-to-DVI-D cable
- A USB cable
- A PC
Following the instructions below to start using your BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape:
- Mount the BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape on top of BeagleBone.
- Note: The Ethernet connector on BeagleBone should fit right into the cutback on BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio.
- Make sure the micro SD card using with BeagleBone has latest Angstrom image.
- Connect the audio input jack of speakers to the audio output connector on the BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio.
- Connect the audio output from PC to the audio input connector on the BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio using a 3.5mm male to male audio cable.
- Connect the BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape to a DVI-D supported monitor using an HDMI-to-DVI-D cable. The HDMI end of the cable should be plugged into the HDMI port on the DVI-D with Audio Cape. The DVI-D end of the cable should be plugged into the DVI-D input of the monitor.
- Note: The DVI-D is hardcoded to provide an output resolution of 1024x768. Please ensure your monitor supports this resolution.
- Note: Only plug in or unplug the HDMI cable when the board is not powered. Hot plugging or unplugging while the board is powered on may damage the board or cable.
- Open a media player on PC and play an audio file repeatedly.
- Connect the BeagleBone to PC using a USB cable. Remember the port number of this connection.
- Note: In Windows, the serial port number can be viewed under “Ports (COM & LPT)” section inside “Device Manager”. To open the “Device Manager” windows, right-click “My Computer”, choose “Properties”, select the “Hardware” tab, and click “Device Manager”.
- You should see on the LCD monitor the BeagleBone logo, the Angstrom log-in prompt, and eventually the Angstrom desktop.
- Open a terminal application (Teraterm, Hyperterminal, etc) and open new connection with following settings: baud rate - 115200, data – 8 bit, parity – none, stop – 1 bit, flow control – none. Select the port corresponding to the USB connection. Log in as root.
- Change the ALSA mixer settings by running the command "alsamixer". A preset settings can also be downloaded here.
- To apply the preset settings for ALSA mixer, copy the preset file "asound.state" to /var/lib/alsa/ on SD card.
- Start the audio test script by running the command "testaudio".
- The script will test the audio playback by playing a beep sound to speakers.
- The script will record 1 second of the currently playing audio file on PC and play it back to speakers.
Followings are some specifications of the BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape:
|Power||3.3V via expansion header|
|5V via expansion header|
|Audio Connector||3.5mm standard stereo jack|
|DVI-D Connector||standard HDMI connector|
|Indicators||Two user LEDs|
|Connectors||Two 46-position headers|
|One 10-position header|
|Size||2.15" x 3.40"|
The BeagleBone DVI-D Cape uses 33 signals including:
|Board Name||BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Cape|
System Reference Manual
BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Revision A1
Only PCB is changed in this revision. No design changes are made.
BeagleBone DVI-D with Audio Revision A
To download all files at once please click here
To go back to the cape list, please click here