Embedded Linux Distributions
Besides the Linux kernel, one of the advantage of embedded Linux is the ability to leverage hundreds if not thousands of existing free and open source packages to easily and quickly add new features to devices. These packages range from graphical libraries, multimedia libraries, network libraries, cryptographic libraries, network servers, infrastructure software and more. However, integrating all these components together requires a relatively deep knowledge of the components. Hence, embedded-specific distributions and build systems have been created to ease this process.
- The Blackfin uClinux Distribution by Analog Devices - a fork of the uClinux distribution for Blackfin processors
- Embedded Alley - see http://www.embeddedalley.com/
- KaeilOS embedded linux
- Lineo Solutions uLinux
- MontaVista Linux - see http://www.mvista.com/products_services.php
- Pengutronix OSELAS.BSP() - see http://www.pengutronix.de/oselas/bsp/index_en.html
- RidgeRun Linux - see http://www.ridgerun.com/sdk.shtml
- TimeSys LinuxLink - see http://www.timesys.com/embedded-linux/linuxlink
- Ubuntu Mobile
- Wind River - see http://www.windriver.com/products/linux/
- Little Blue Linux - MPC Data
- Digi Embedded Linux for Digi's ARM based modules
- Toradex Torizon - see https://www.toradex.com/operating-systems/torizon
- Maemo (deprecated - see Meego)
- Moblin (deprecated - see Meego)
- Access Linux Platform
- Snapgear Embedded Linux Distribution - http://www.snapgear.org/
- Open Wrt - http://openwrt.org/
- Embedded Debian - http://www.emdebian.org/
- Embedded Gentoo - http://embedded.gentoo.org/
- Arch Linux for ARM - http://archlinuxarm.org/
- GeeXboX - http://www.geexbox.org/
- GeeXboX is an embedded multimedia distribution that turns your device into a full-featured MediaCenter.
- Aboriginal Linux - http://landley.net/aboriginal/
Special purpose embedded Linux distributions
- Flash Linux - a distribution specifically for USB keys and Live CDs
- Eagle Linux - http://www.safedesksolutions.com/eaglelinux/
- An embedded Linux distribution aimed at helping users learn Linux by creating bootable Linux images "virtually from scratch". Eagle Linux 2.3 is currently distributed as a concise, 26-page PDF documenting the creation of a minimalist, network-ready Linux image for bootable CDs, floppies, or flash drives. See description at: http://ct.enews.deviceforge.com/rd/cts?d=207-106-2-28-5560-8662-0-0-0-1
- uClinux A distribution targeting (but not only) systems without Memory Management Unit. See also UClinux Shared Library.
Configuration and Build systems
See Build Systems
See also Toolchains
- Qplus Target Builder - Target image builder from ETRI
- Embedded OS mentions a variety of embedded operating systems, including embedded Linux.
- Tools and distributions for embedded Linux development - LWN.net 2010/04/27 by Tom Parkin
- This is an excellent roundup of current (as of 2010) tools and distributions available for embedded Linux development (that's redundant).